Roasted Organic Chicken with Moroccan Spices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ras-el-hanout*
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 4.75 to 5-pound whole free-range organic chicken
- 2 small whole lemons, pierced all over with fork
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
* A Moroccan spice blend available at some specialty foods stores, Middle Eastern markets, and by mail from The Spice House (312-274-0378; thespicehouse.com).
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F. Blend first 9 ingredients in blender to moist paste.
- Remove neck, giblets, and excess fat from main cavity of chicken. Rinse chicken inside and out; pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub 1/3 of spice paste into main cavity and neck cavity, then rub remaining spice paste all over outside of chicken.
- Place lemons and garlic cloves in main cavity of chicken.
- Tie legs together. Place chicken on rack in roasting pan. Roast 45 minutes; tent with foil to prevent overbrowning.
- Continue to roast chicken until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 170°F, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to platter; let stand 10 minutes (internal temperature will increase by 5 to 10 degrees).
Recipe by Bruce Aidells and Nancy Oakes
Featured in Bon Appetit Magazine