Spiced Seafood Skewers
TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3/4 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 12 large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 8 large sea scallops
- 3/4 pound salmon fillet with skin, cut into 8 cubes
8 cherry tomatoes
1 zucchini, sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a small skillet, combine the mustard seeds, peppercorns, chile powder, bay leaf, celery seeds, coriander seeds and ginger and stir over moderate heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder and let cool completely, then grind to a powder. Stir in the salt.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Thread the shrimp onto 4 metal skewers. Alternate the scallops, salmon cubes, cherry tomatoes and zucchini wedges on 4 more metal skewers.
- Brush the skewers with the olive oil and season generously with the spice mix. (Reserve any remaining spice mix for another use.)
- Grill the skewers over moderately high heat until the seafood is lightly charred and just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle the seafood with the parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
Featured in Food and Wine Magazine
Contributed by Steve Baker